Sunday, January 24, 2010

Jewelry



I've been making jewelry as a hobby for a couple of years now, and I only just began to sell them.  I'm not doing so well on the selling part, so I mostly just wait until someone asks to buy (or commission) a piece.

I've always liked the idea of owning a skeleton key, whether it be to open a chest full of memories, or to wear around my neck just for looks, and whenever I got into Steampunk, I started searching eBay for these keys.  I never knew how much people were willing to pay for these things!  It's so hard to buy these keys in bulk, because there is always someone out there willing to pay much more than what I'd like to pay.  It's even harder to buy the ornate keys (which I usually have to buy one at a time expensively).

At first, I was only going to make these necklaces as costume jewelry, for I am into cosplay and wanted to cosplay a Steampunk character wearing a beautiful necklace with a skeleton key.  But then I decided that skeleton key necklaces should proudly be worn any day, and I wear my personal collection of Steampunk inspired necklaces with any outfit they match (I've actually never worn one with my costume yet.  Go figure!).

Now, I say it's Steampunk inspired because I am aware that the Steampunk genre usually has some sort of dystopian society, and in that kind of society they probably didn't wear necklaces like these.  Although, I sort of imagine it like the Great Depression, where any former richly clung to their last memories of the good 'ol days.

For those that do not know, I'm currently writing a book about a world where 20 keys possess 20 different powers, and are passed down from generation to generation to preserve peace around the globe.  The Key Bearers can only have the power of their key if they hold it, and prolonged exposure will result in death.  The story begins with a fire and a girl who has no memory of what happened.  Only the protruding stone of amber fused to her chest can tell her tail, for inside that stone lies the key to her past, present, and future.

My necklaces that feature keys are inspired by my story.  Whether it gets published is questionable, but it will always be my muse.

1.  Reconfigure-  sold
     based on the key of elemental transmutation






2.  Revenant-  sold
     based on the key of revenant communication




3.  Parylull-  not for sale
     based on the key of teleportation




4.  Lineage-  not for sale
     this is the first necklace I ever made




5.  Ethereal-  sold
     features a silver watch gear



I am currently making more to sell that features skeleton keys, and once I am finished with those, I will post them here as well as a link to where I will be selling them.  If you, or anyone you know, are interested in what I make, send out the word!

No comments:

Post a Comment